Software Update management is not the simplest SCCM task. Over the years, we trained many SCCM administrators using a simple approach and deployment strategy. We finally decided to create this complete SCCM Software Update Management Guide.
This guide is a best-practice guide on how to plan, configure, manage and deploy software updates with SCCM. This guide aims to help SCCM administrators understand the basic concept of each part of the patch management process. This guide does not explain how to setup your Software Update Point.
There are other ways of doing software update management in SCCM, this document describes a typical case that can be used in any organization as a good starting point. It’s impossible to cover every organization’s needs and requirements in a single guide.[alert type=”info” close=”false” heading=”Update information”] Guide updated 2020/04/27 [/alert]
SCCM Software Update Management Guide
The guide will help you achieve these tasks :
- Guide you toward a good deployment strategy.
- When and how to deploy patches?
- Setup your SCCM environment correctly.
- Are you synchronizing the right products and classification?
- Create Collections for Software Update deployment.
- Effective targeting of your workstation.
- Setup Maintenance Windows.
- Use them to prevent reboot and exclude certain devices from the process.
- Create Software Update Groups and Deployment Packages
- Understand the difference between both
- How to exclude certain updates from your monthly process
- Create Searches to target specific updates
- Save lots of time by creating effective searches
- Configure your clients’ settings
- Control reboots and notifications on clients
- Describe the monthly tasks that need to be done
- When to do each task?
- Create and set up Automatic Deployment Rules
- Increase your productivity level using ADR
- Add software updates to your Operating System Deployment
- Ensure that new systems are patches right at build time
- Cleanup and operational best practice
- Which group policy needs to be configured
- Ensure that you don’t have an overlapping policy with your WSUS server
- How to monitor your deployments
- The key to your management. Know which systems are patches and which one is required
The PDF file is a 50 pages document that contains all information to manage software updates with SCCM. Use our products page or use the button below to download it.
PDF Document screenshots
If you’re new to SCCM or simply want to deepen your knowledge of the patch management process in SCCM, this guide may be a great resource to add to your virtual bookshelf.
Founder of System Center Dudes. Based in Montreal, Canada, Senior Microsoft SCCM Consultant, 5 times Enterprise Mobility MVP. Working in the industry since 1999. His specialization is designing, deploying and configuring SCCM, mass deployment of Windows operating systems, Office 365 and Intunes deployments.